Musings and random glimpses into current events and my life. What could be more interesting?

Wednesday, November 9

The Very Odd Coincidence

Once in a while fate steps into your life and leaves you going , 'huh...' or even 'WHOA!' I had such a brush with her recently that is too ironic not to share.

On a recent weekend I had been planning to a trip to New York. I was feeling a little homesick for the city I love the most and decided some culture/shopping/eating time was necessary. (Pause: I know those of you out there will comment that I am again 'hating on DC' because it's not my favorite city in the world. Suffice it to say that the Capital City and I have a love hate relationship eerily similar to the one that I have with my iPod. Sensing a pattern here?)

One thing that I should make clear is that when I travel, I prefer not to pay full price where possible. Priceline is my friend and I've used it obsessively. Normally I can score a three or four star hotel in New York for under $150 a night. Not this weekend. Discount rates at hotels in New York were sky high and nothing was available on Priceline under $250.

After much digging I found a hotel that was in my price range. The Hotel Carter's web site indicated that it at Time Square and was a one-star hotel. I considered my options. I never spend much time in my room in New York anyhow. As long as it had a comfortable bed and was clean, I could probably deal with the loss of two stars. One thing you'll find a plethora of on the internet, is sites that allow you to learn everything you need to know about hotels. After much digging I found mixed reviews on this hotel. Some said "What do you want for the price? Our stay was great." Others said, "Avoid this place at all costs." I decided to book the room and continue my research, knowing that I had until Thursday morning to cancel without being charged.

The next day I found more reviews. This time they weren't so mixed and they included multiple pictures from different guests of the hotel. The pictures were frightening: Mouse holes in the mattresses, Plastic bags over broken windows, Layers of grime and hair in the tubs. Users reported bums in the hallway and more than one said that the place was a fire trap. Yes, I would definitely need to cancel my reservation. Finally I decided to cancel my trip.

Friday morning I awoke and logged on to my computer for my morning dose of email and news. As my internet browser was launching, a cold feeling seized me. I had forgotten to cancel my reservation! I would be charged the full amount for the room. Just as this thought was rushing through my mind, Yahoo appeared on my screen and one headline jumped out at me, "Fire evacuates Times Square Hotel." Could it be? I clicked on the link and read the story eagerly. The details came quick: Fire in a 700 room hotel, all guests evacuated in the middle of the night, and finally the name: The Hotel Carter. A strange sense of irony filled me. Could this be for real?

Thirty minutes later i was on the phone with a woman from the hotel (reported in almost every review to be rude and uncaring.) "Yes, I'd like to cancel my reservation for Saturday please" I said, hoping against hope for an answer I liked. "Your name please?" I gave her my name and reservation number and waited for the verdict. The answer came, "Ok, you cancelled. No charge. Thank you!" I was stunned. Had this really just happened to me? What if I had not heard about the fire? What if I had gone to New York and the hotel had been closed. Or worse, what if I had gone and there had been a fire?

Sometimes fate is a bitch. More often than not I feel her laughing cruelly at me. But just this once, she seemed to be on my side.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home