Musings and random glimpses into current events and my life. What could be more interesting?

Sunday, October 30

Stop Requested

When it's chily night in October and you've been out for an evening of drinks an jazz, you usually start measuring your options. What mode of transportation will put me in my bed the quickest?

On a recent evening, I stood on the corner of 14th and U trying to hail a cab. I had ridden my bike down the hill and locked it securely, sure that I wouldn't be in any mood to ride it back up after a glass of wine (alright three). As I tried to find a taxi, I thought, here we are, in the nation's capital and the second largest cab fleet in the country, and apparently, nobody was available.

Moments later a Metro bus appeared. I've taken Metrobus many times and they never seem to arrive when you most need them. So it was fitting that one should appear when I wasn't even looking for it.

As I stepped onto the bus I asked the driver, "Going up the hill? To 14th and Euclid?"

His reply caught me off guard, "You know you could walk."

What was this? Judgment? From a WMATA bus driver? I thought it odd, that he would a. be encouraging people NOT to take the bus and b. take it upon himself to inform me of my options. I'm all about choice, but this was above and beyond the call.

My response was not nearly as witty and bold as you might imagine. I shrugged,guiltily "Yeah, I know. I just didn't feel like it."

As I made my way to my seat I thought, "You're right. I could walk those 5 blocks up the hill to my house. I actually DO walk them often. But in a city where the crime rate has increased 40% in five months, I decided it best not to. I realied then- I might be lazy. But I'm not stupid. 1.35 is a small price to pay for a safe ride up the hill. And I'm even willing to endure the judgment. Just this once...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home