Musings and random glimpses into current events and my life. What could be more interesting?

Monday, October 3

Let My People Pass

I really want to know...what is it with these double strollers that are so prevalent these days? It used to be that these monster contraptions were reserved for cul-de-sacs and suburban malls. But increasingly I am seeing more and more of them in stores and restaurants in the city.

Of the two types of these strollers, the one that really stirs my ire is the Doublewide. You may have seen these. In this configuration, the children sit side-by-side rather than one in front of each other. It really is the latest thing is arrogance since there are very few spaces in the city built to accommodate one of these without sending furniture and people flying.

This weekend I had several experiences with the Doublewide. None infuriated me more, however, than on a visit to Heller's bakery in Mount Pleasant. As I made my way to the front door, eager to grab a croissant and coffee for a Sunday morning drive out of the city, I was blocked by a woman pushing a Doublewide. She coasted slowly towards the door with two other women and her two children (a baby and what appeared to be a four-year old) in the stroller. I tried to maneuver around here and barely made it in the door when her friends in front of me stopped to inquire whether she was in the mood for caf or decaf coffee. Apparently she had made the decision to stay outside with the Doublewide. As she stood and considered her options and the two friends beamed out waiting for her decision, I grew increasingly impatient (as I am known to do.) None of these women seemed to be aware that there was anyone else remotely near them. I pushed past the two women with a polite but poignant 'pardon me.' and made my way to the counter only to place my order and see Mrs. Double wide pushing her stroller into the already packed bakery. Apparently the decision over her coffee was simply too puzzling to be made quickly.

As I turned and tried to make my way out with my breakfast, I realized I was trapped. The stroller actually blocked the entire area near the counter. She had stopped on the way and asked people to move their chairs so that she could pass. The patrons were all forced to wait for her to window shop along the case and move before we could get by.

Frustrating. What really is puzzling about these strollers is that they usually involve one child who is WAY too old to be sitting in them. I had to suppress the urge to tap this woman and say 'if he's old enough to chew steak, he can walk.'

What kind of lazy children are we raising? And what kind of arrogance is involved in thinking that you are entitled to push your large contraption through the store pushing people out of the way and taking chairs with you? I invite business to step up to their responsibility and begin posting No-Stroller signs. After all, it's only fair to those of us who take up 1/5 of the space of these women and their children do.


1 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

These strollers are all over the Boca Town Center Mall. The take over the entire food court with the strollers and you can't get by. And yes, one child is always way over the age of being in a stroller. Businesses unite, NO to doublewides!

3:14 PM EDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home