Musings and random glimpses into current events and my life. What could be more interesting?

Monday, August 29

It occurred Saturday afternoon. Three things that each cause a very visceral response in me combined at the same moment to create the perfect storm.

These would be:

1. Virginia Drivers
2. Humvee Limousines
3. Poofy haired girls from the suburbs in bad dresses

Saturday afternoon I was returning home from an afternoon of shopping in Georgetown. As I made my way up New Hampshire Avenue towards M St. I saw ahead of me a vehicle blocking the lane in front of a hotel. Said vehicle was not just doubled parked, but sitting in the only available northbound lane causing my fellow drivers and me to have to drive out around into oncoming traffic. As I approached, I saw little surprise that the license plate was from Virginia. However, two other things struck me in quick succession. The first was that the vehicle was actually a Hummer limousine. In my mind, these are just the foulest vehicle around. They embody everything I dislike about excess in our culture. Not to mention the fact that the inhabitants are usually from a subset of culture that completely lack taste.

Once my distaste registered, I next noticed a gaggle of poofy haired girls in raspberry taffeta gathering at the entrance of the hotel, preparing to enter the limo.

This particular hummer quickly put me in a situation that called for speeding up and maneuvering quickly since I had not anticipated being in the oncoming lane for half a city block.

I can't begin relate the feelings I had as I crossed through the light and attempted to put as much distance between the offending scene and me. I found myself thinking about the total arrogance of these people to assume that traffic should simply wait while they primped and piled into this obnoxious vehicle that was only sucking more gas from our already low stockpiles. It annoyed me to think of the sense of entitlement these people had.

I could only hope that the Hummer was ushering this herd of bad taste out of the District to some faraway place in the suburbs. But the logical part of me knew that this wasn’t the case. No, this group would be just one more group of obnoxious drunk bridge and tunelers crowding the already crowded bars of DC later that night, eating big slices of pizza and dancing to bad music.


1 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

What is with the poofy hair. Who has poofy hair anymore? I wish I could have seen the dresses!

9:09 AM EDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home