Musings and random glimpses into current events and my life. What could be more interesting?

Friday, August 26

Human Zoo

It's about time. Someone has finally realized that the only animal missing from zoos is the human. The London Zoo this weekend launches an exhibit that features eight human animals wearing nothing more than fig leaves while they frolic in a natural habitat.

It is interesting to note the presence of the leaf. I have to wonder why the orangutan aren't wearing a banana leaf, or the lemurs wearing thongs. This speaks to the prudishness of the human animal. Our very nature embarrasses us. We will take our children to see an exhibit of human animals, but lead them to believe that nature didn't intend us to be naked.

The article, from the BBC includes an exerpt from a poem written by one of the applicants to the Zoo.

"I got a laugh like a hyena but get the hump like a camel, so cover me in fig leaves as I'm the ultimate mammal."


It occurs to me that if the exhibit were to truly show human animals in their natural habitat, they would dress them up, shower them in bling, paint them in makeup and give them guns.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home