Musings and random glimpses into current events and my life. What could be more interesting?

Monday, July 18

Rested and Relaxed

For those of you who checked in over the weekend, I apologize for my absence. I was at the shore soaking up the sun (when it was present.), relaxing, and partaking in a drink or two.

My second trip to Rehoboth Beach in two years left me with this lesson. Those people LOVE rules. On Sunday, we were relaxing on the beach, trying to ignore the rumbles of thunder echoing from the west. We had been on the beach about an hour, when the lifeguard suddenly began waving everyone out of the water. Then, incredulously, began waving everyone off the beach. We really believed that this was a joke at first, but he was very serious. It was a mass exodus on the scale of War of the Worlds. I have lived in several beach communities and never experienced such a thing.

Thirty minutes later, as we sat in Grotto's Pizza eating our pepperoni and cheese pie and drinking a large beer and watching the light drizzle outside, we asked the bartender about the evacuation. Apparently the town's rule is to remove everyone from the beach when it storms. We were told that, had we stayed, we would have been ticketed. A lot of trouble to protect people if you ask me.

Today, I have returned to the concrete swamp to find a heat advisory in effect. You really have to love the District in the summertime. There's no place like it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home