Musings and random glimpses into current events and my life. What could be more interesting?

Tuesday, August 16

Scary Billboards Department


Traveling on the Baltimore Washington Parkway to New York on Friday, I came across this billboard. As you can see from the picture, the word "VIRGIN" is scrawled across the white background. What you can't see, due to the small size of the photo, is the line beneath that says "Teach your kids that it's not a dirty word". This might be, but just looking at the sign made me feel dirty.

The word Virgin itself is literally scrawled in dripping red paint. The first thing that comes to mind is fresh blood. There are so many reasons that this is just plain wrong, and I trust my readers to be intelligent enough to figure out all of them.

This seems to be another example of the glut of bad marketing that Americans have been producing lately. It seems that nobody spell-checking these ads for appropriateness or smart marketing.

Have examples of bad marketing? Share them with the class.


1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

I remember those signs from Metro stations back in the 90s. I'm ALL for open dialogue with your kids about sex (I used to be an HIV/AIDS educator), but now that my 7 yr old nephew and The Chef's 6 yr old son can read, the LAST thing I want them to do is see that sign and ask "What's a veer-ghin?" (Pronouncing the "G" as in "again.") There's a time and a place...

1:30 PM EDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home